Worried about your own or someone else’s drug use?

Tuesday 11-06-2019 - 13:10

Before arriving in Winchester you may not have been exposed to alcohol or drugs, or you might have come with concerns about your own or someone else’s drinking or drug use. We want everyone to have a safe and enjoyable University experience and aim to ensure that nobody feels pressured to join in with what others are doing. We encourage students to be aware of the dangers of excessive drinking, and the associated risks of substance misuse. Winchester Student Union has a zero tolerance approach to the use of illegal drugs in our venues.


At the start of the month, Inclusion (Drug and Alcohol Services) reported that there were at least 5 overdoses in Hampshire that required hospital admission. We hope that students concerned about their drug use feel able to seek advice and support from our Student Union Advisor, Student Services or their GP.


During your time at University, you may have concerns about the wellbeing of another student, this could be someone from a society that you’re part of, a course friend or housemate. You might have noticed that your friend has stopped attending social events or maybe they have started messaging you about difficult things that are going on in their life. Often, when people reach out to others they want to be listened to rather than be told how they need to change.


If your friend seems reluctant to seek support from one of the services mentioned above you could encourage them to self-refer to Catch 22 or Inclusion, for those over the age of 25. You can also receive friendly, confidential advice via email, text or phone from Frank. Their website includes useful information about drugs effects, classifications and the legal action you risk through use.


If you are in a situation where urgent medical help is needed and you’re not sure what to do call 111. If you consider the matter to be life threatening, dial 999. You should tell the crew everything you know about the drugs taken and give them any drugs left, it could save the person’s life. Remember deep snoring can be a sign of a potentially fatal overdose.


If you suspect that drugs are being used or supplied in Halls or University managed housing you should contact the Site Stewards on 01962 827666.


If you have any questions or would like more information please do not hesitate to get in touch by emailing SU_Advice@winchester.ac.uk

Related Tags :

More Winchester Student Union Articles

More Articles...